Reporting Human Trafficking

Report Red Flags, Don’t Investigate

Members of the public are highly encouraged to report any human trafficking red flags to law enforcement. However, it is not our job to investigate. Do not put yourself or others at risk. After your report is made, the appropriate agency will conduct an investigation. Learn more about Recognizing Human Trafficking here.

How to Report an Emergency


An emergency is any situation that requires immediate assistance from law enforcement, the fire department, or an ambulance. If you are not sure whether a situation is an emergency, call 9-1-1. It’s better to be safe and let the 9-1-1 call taker determine if you need emergency assistance. For more information on calling 9-1-1, visit the  9-1-1 Association.

How to Report Human Trafficking or Exploitation

Call the National Human Trafficking Hotline at

1-888-373-7888 to speak anonymously to a non-governmental advocate to report potential human trafficking. It’s free to call 24/7. Interpreters are available. Submit an anonymous tip online. Text BeFree (233733) to report an anonymous tip. The information will be reviewed and forwarded to specialized law enforcement and/or service providers where appropriate.



The Santa Clara County Law Enforcement to Investigate Human Trafficking (LEIHT) Task Force is headed up by the District Attorney’s Offices to investigate and prosecute sex and labor trafficking cases. Contact LEIHT:

(408) 792-2700

Call the Center for Missing & Exploited Children 

at 1-800-THE-LOST (843-5678) to report missing children or child pornography. Submit a report online through the Cybertipline.

San Jose Police Department Human Trafficking Task Force (SJPD HTTF) has been in operation since 2005. The task force investigates sex and labor trafficking cases, and conducts anti-trafficking trainings.


Child Abuse & Neglect Center (CANC)

If you suspect a child is being sexually exploited in Santa Clara County, you can call CANC at

(833) SCC-KIDS 24 hours a day.

How to Report Buyers

If you see someone in a car who is trying to purchase sex, you can report them to the San Jose Police Department (SJPD) or other participating law enforcement agencies using Report John. If enough information is provided, SJPD will send a visibility letter to the registered owner informing them about the realities and consequences of buying sex including imprisonment and human trafficking.  Visit Report John to fill out a short report with the license plate, location, vehicle description, activity, and if possible a photo.